Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A lullaby

I suddenly had a vivid recollection of dusky chai -times and nights when my mother would talk me to sleep. She told me her stories- now they are mine, entrenched in me-and those images and impressions are branded forever in my memory.....

As I lay me down
on a lonely night
I hear her whisper,
a whisper, a soft whisper.

With a voice soaked
in our past, she
sings me a song, a
song, the sweetest song.

She washes me with
a lilting saddness as
I drown in the comfort
of darkness, a heady darkness.

She twirls a tale
as I sleep yet awaken,
she speaks of my mother,
my mother's mother's mother.

I can touch her velvet voice
as we travel away and
they fall in place- the pieces,
the pieces, the very many pieces.

I drink those words of long ago
and the walls of my mind ring
with an echo, an echo,
a poignant echo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

pefect.
this onez got a lot of depth.


____vijaey.

Anonymous said...

Nice... and Bravo! Someone has mastered the art of blogrolling. And that was a very sensible comment u left on my blog.

Good Going Mazhai

Rain said...

Vijaey...thanks for finally leaving a comment :) I love to hear ur perspective.

Chill...thanks!!! I wouldnt have blogrolled if it weren't for u!!!