Thursday, March 29, 2007

"Excuse me.....Where am I?"

I think I've mentioned that I'm learning to drive. I'm doing well, thank you very much! As long as I have my navigator (read that as Ash) beside me.
"Right or left?" I keep asking him at every signal...and he booms out "We take this route everyday...can't you figure it out?"
So I'm not a map-finder...yes, I shamelessly fall back on that cliche. The system of numbered roads and a gridded network baffle me. Back home, we went by landmarks and names as opposed to exits and numerals. I mean, would u recall a "Cathedral road" or "SR 200" ?
The thought of driving in a highway and figuring out where I'm going seems terrifying to me. The numbers seem to slide off my head within a few seconds. The loops, turns, this-a-ways and that-a-ways are a wee bit too much. And MapQuest with its mixed up directions doesn't help.
The most agonizing part is the fact that you CANNOT stop and ask for directions. Next time you people back home swear at an unruly pedestrian, or complain of crazy cyclists...remember that these very people can point out the right way at times of distress. Ah!! The grass is always greener....

No comments: